[Tor www-team] Localization (passive vs active user interaction)

Griffin Boyce griffin at cryptolab.net
Fri Jan 10 17:38:14 UTC 2014

Hello all,

   I'd like to bring up localization.  Right now, translation is done on
Transifex and then just put into individual translated pages.  The real
downside with this is that it's not obvious to users who come to a given
page, how to get to that page in their language (if it even exists).

   What would improve this process is using a passive localization script
that detects the user's browser language (like l10n.js) and then swaps
out chunks of content based on that.  You can designate a fallback
language.  Considering translation is spotty for several key languages,
I think that this approach is better than the current model.

   And because it's pulling in content from translation files, there's
less html to maintain.

Thoughts?

~Griffin

[1] https://github.com/eligrey/l10n.js/