[Tor www-team] [Back-end][CMS]

Rey Dhuny rey at spcshp.com
Fri Jan 10 15:56:39 UTC 2014

Rick Lubbers:

> Why not just write a really simple PHP back-end with TinyMCE that produces plain HTML pages?

Jekyll (or Pelican, Middleman or $static-site-generator) are tools that do one thing and one thing well: they take markdown (or $text files) + templates and spit out a fully static website.

It's important to consider that it's not simply a case of spitting out plain HTML pages as thought has to be given to managing torproject.org's content structure both for launch and as the website's content grows it has to scale.

> Should be quite simple to implement, and with TinyMCE pretty much every moron can work with the back-end.

I believe writing a bespoke solution for torproject.org 3.0 introduces further complexity as opposed to using one of the proposed static site generators[1]. The proposed have mature codebases, active communities and fulfil the current technical requirements[2].

> Jekyll seems okay too, but still, markup language still is a kind of programming, and lots of content writers are allergic for programming.

Markdown is a) very easy to read and b) very easy to write[3]. I must respectfully disagree that "markup language is still a kind of programming" as in my opinion it's simply a way to structure a text document and nothing more. It's not a skip and a jump away from how one may write an email, for example.

Rey

[1] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/Website#Candidates
[2] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/Website#Technicalrequirements
[3] http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/basics