[Tor www-team] [Back-end][CMS]

Rey Dhuny rey at spcshp.com
Fri Jan 10 10:59:20 UTC 2014

> Can anyone explain a bit how Jekyll would work in the context of the Tor website?

In terms of the Tor website it would be a case of completely replacing the current Drupal implementation with a website built on Jekyll.

In practice this would require moving all the content current found on torproject.org into markdown files.

Each markdown file would have a `layout`[1] defined in the YAML frontmatter[2] which exists on the top of the markdown file.

As a simplified example, a blog post's frontmatter may look like:

```
---
layout: post title: "Tor Weekly News" tags: - weeklynews - browserbundle
---
```
And a page's frontmatter may look like:
```
---
layout: page title: "Documentation" ---
```
The documentation has an example of a basic directory structure: http://jekyllrb.com/docs/structure/

> Do users need to create the content on disk or through a web interface?
There is currently no implementation of a `web interface` in Jekyll (although you could argue that GitHub's web edit interface fills this need, that's not relevant to this implementation).
To create content users would create on disk. How a user gets this created content to torproject.org is an important consideration. Would they commit this to a git repo? Would they upload to trac? Etc.
Rey
[1] http://jekyllrb.com/docs/structure/
[2] http://jekyllrb.com/docs/frontmatter/