[Tor www-team] Proposed personas

Silviu Riley silviu.riley at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 11:10:40 UTC 2014

I've never used something like this personas concept before, but it
generated an idea. If we could refine the personas, to make sure they
conform to what our users or visitors to the site actually are like, it
will improve our thinking and design.

For example, the student persona got me thinking about using Tor on
public/school wifi:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/12/use-of-tor-helped-fbi-finger-bomb-hoax-suspect/

According to federal prosecutors, Tor played a key role in helping FBI
> agents identify a Harvard student suspected of e-mailing a hoax bomb
> threat<http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/17/21943608-harvard-student-tried-to-dodge-exam-with-bomb-hoax-fbi-says>to university officials so he wouldn't have to take a final exam. To
> conceal his Harvard IP address, he used Tor, but in a fatal mistake, *he
> also used the school's Wi-Fi network to connect to the anonymity service*.
> Investigators, according to a criminal complaint<http://www.wbur.org/2013/12/18/pdf-criminal-complaint-harvard-bomb-threat>,
> took a hard look at everyone who used Tor at the time the threats were sent
> and ultimately fingered 20-year-old Eldo Kim of Cambridge, Massachusetts as
> the perpetrator.

(Emphasis mine)

So let's think about the personas and their use of Tor and the website more.

I like how Tails does their download page. They have a first-time user
section before any downloads are presented:

https://tails.boum.org/download/index.en.html#index1h1

First time user?

>    - If you don't know what a metadata or a man-in-the-middle attack is.
>    - If you think no-one can eavesdrop on your communications because you
>    are using Tor.
>    - If you have no notion of how Tails works.
>
> *Then, check first the about <https://tails.boum.org/about/index.en.html>
> and warning <https://tails.boum.org/doc/about/warning/index.en.html> pages
> to make sure that Tails is the right tool for you and that you understand
> well its limitations.*

Silviu.