[Tor www-team] First set of technical requirements

Olssy olssy1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 22:20:38 UTC 2014

Might be a good time to create some sub-groups so that we can focus more on
our own areas of expertise. I'll throw up this as a division of tasks and a
dev process but anyone feel free to add/remove or tell me it's a bad idea :P

*UI/UX design team*
1. Identify all pages and their content
2. Structure the pages into sections(probably the 5 already mentionned) and
blocks(sub-sections like the "Announcements" or "Who uses Tor?" parts of
the current page) as well as deciding how the user will navigate between
sections and the resolution of the pages.
3. Create drawings of the structure

*Technical writers*
1. Write technically? Just joking. Create the content.

*Translators*
1. Translate the content

*Graphic design team*
1. Create mockups based on the UI specifications provided by the UI team
for each page for both desktop and mobile versions.

*Front end implementation team*
1. Create the HTML based off the work of the UI team, simple HTML structure
with (hopefully) no need to think about the presentation yet.
2. Create the CSS for the desktop and mobile versions.
3. Have a treat as the static site is done.
4. Create DHTML(non-ajax javascript) to enrich the pages all while letting
graceful degradation occur for clients without javascript.

*Back-end developers*
1. Decide what technology is to be used and install/configure it, this
might be the most problematic part as developers are a stubborn bunch, I'm
a developer :)
2. Migrate the pages into the chosen solution(if necessary)
3. If necessary create a script triggered on content modification to e-mail
translators and update the static page if a dynamic CMS is being used as
well as pushing them onto the mirrors.

*Project coordinator(s)*
1. Coordinate the different teams and ensure everyone has the same vision
and expectations.

Some additional technical requirements that may have been forgotten from
the previous list or where just so obvious they weren't added:
1. At least two different UIs for mobile and desktop.
2. Ensure the site works in a completely static manner(no JS at all)
3. Automated pushing of static files to mirrors
4. Blogs, this was mentioned but I'm at a bit of a loss if this is a
requirement or a separate project.
5. Store, I'm guessing it will stay as is on printfection.com but if the
site gets a new look then the store will need a new design probably.
6. Forums, would this be something the site would like to have in the
future? Of course this would need to be dynamic but if it is something that
might be implemented in the future it might affect the choice of technology
now.

Here is the development cycle I think would work well for the actual web
pages of the project, I imagine it being iterative with one
page/section/block at a time:
*Phase 1*
UI/UX team creates the structure
Technical writers create the content

*Phase 2*
Graphic designers create mock up based off structure and content
Translators translate the content provided by the technical writers

*Phase 3*
Front end developers create the HTML/CSS based off the mock up created in
phase 2 as well as enriching with DHTML effects while ensuring it degrades
nicely. Depending on the technical solution the pages might be broken down
further in this phase to ensure content is not duplicated in the back end
and can be reused for different pages.

*Phase 4*
Back-end developers integrate the page into whatever technical solution was
decided on

*Phase 5*
Check all links and javascript is working as well as performance of CSS, JS
and caching
Page is tested in multiple browsers on multiple OSes on multiple devices to
ensure the UI/UX is consistent on all of them