[ux] UX team monthly meeting notes, March 2nd

Duncan Larsen-Russell duncan at botany.studio
Tue Mar 2 16:25:16 UTC 2021

Hello,

Thanks everyone who made it to today's UX team monthly meeting! We're looking forward to seeing you all again in April.

Here are the minutes: http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2021/tor-meeting.2021-03-02-13.58.log.html <http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2021/tor-meeting.2021-03-02-13.58.log.html>

During today’s meeting we shared an update on the Tor Browser User Surveys that are currently in progress, reviewed Nim’s user research plan, received an update from Nah on the recently completed bridges user research (which will be shared with the UX discussion list soon), and lastly discussed the ways in which the first-time contributors who attended today’s meeting can get involved in UX at Tor.

***

Open IRC meetings happen monthly on the first Tuesday of the month at 1400 UTC in #tor-meeting on OFTC.

Next meeting will be held on Tuesday 6th April at 1400 UTC in #tor-meeting on OFTC.

Here are the minutes for the meeting of March 2nd:
Log: http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2021/tor-meeting.2021-03-02-13.58.log.html <http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2021/tor-meeting.2021-03-02-13.58.log.html>

Here are the minutes for the meeting of February 9th:
Log: http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2021/tor-meeting.2021-02-09-13.58.log.html <http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2021/tor-meeting.2021-02-09-13.58.log.html>

Here are the minutes for the meeting of January 12th:
Log: http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2021/tor-meeting.2021-01-12-13.58.log.html <http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2021/tor-meeting.2021-01-12-13.58.log.html>

Here are the minutes for the meeting of November 10th:
Log: http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2020/tor-meeting.2020-11-10-13.58.log.html <http://meetbot.debian.net/tor-meeting/2020/tor-meeting.2020-11-10-13.58.log.html>

--------------------------
Tuesday March 2nd 14:00 UTC
--------------------------

== What projects are we working on? ==

S9 - Usability and Community Intervention on Support for Democracy and Human Rights
	• https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&label_name[]=Sponsor%209&label_name[]=UX

S30 - Empowering Communities in the Global South to Bypass Censorship
	• https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&label_name[]=Sponsor%2030&label_name[]=UX

S84 - Onion Guides
	• https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&label_name[]=Sponsor%2084

S103 – Collaborative ResistancE to Web Surveillance (CREWS)
	• https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&label_name[]=Sponsor%20103

== Announcements ==

* Tor Browser 10.0.12 Release:
	• https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-10012

* Tor Browser Alpha 10.5.a11 Release:
	• https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-105a11

* OnionShare 2.3 Release (by Micah Lee):
    https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-onionshare-23

== Agenda ==

1. Quick update on TB Surveys: https://blog.torproject.org/learning-more-about-tor-users

- The Snowflake Client User Survey has received over 350 completions

- The Tor Browser User Survey has received over 18,300 completions (note: the quality of submissions hasn't been verified, i.e. checked for spam)

- duncan & nah agree to close the Tor Browser User Survey at the next all-platform release on 23-03-2021

Todos:

    [ ] duncan: post ticket to gitlab to take the banner down
    [ ] duncan & nah: schedule a sync to determine the plan of action for reporting

2. Nim's User Research for TB: https://pad.riseup.net/p/nimsTorURAgenda-keep

- nim's going to proceed with recruiting participants from colleagues for her first session
- duncan & nah agree to sit-in on nim's sessions when ready

3. Quick update on last UR - Bridges (nah)

- nah shared an udpate on our recently concluded research on bridges with a small sample of users in censored internet / internet shutdown contexts

Todos:

    [ ] nah: make a few adjustments before circulating with the wider mailing list

== Open Call for User Research ==

Materials and next steps for the contributors who attended today's session:

- Subscribe to the UX mailing list:

- Find out more about user research for Tor on our Community portal:
    • https://community.torproject.org/user-research/

- Browse the UX Research repo to see what we're currently working on, and get up to speed on Tor's user personas:
	• https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/researchhttps://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/research/-/issues

- Read the guidelines on how to do user research with Tor:
    • https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/research/-/blob/master/README.md

- Familiarize yourself with the User Needs Discovery activity:
    • https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/ux/research/-/blob/master/scripts%20and%20activities/2019/1._User_Needs_Discovery_-_Tor_Browser_Desktop.pdf

Todos:

    [ ] new contributors: read through the materials above (and feel free to bring any Qs to the next team meeting!)
    [ ] duncan & nah: update our UX Research Needs before the next team meeting
        • https://community.torproject.org/user-research/open/
    [ ] duncan & nah: sync with specific contributors offline about the next steps for their projects

For anyone else who'd like to get involved: the UX team meets monthly on IRC in the #tor-meeting channel on the OFTC network. If you’re not familiar with IRC here are some instructions to get started: https://support.torproject.org/get-in-touch/#irc-help <https://support.torproject.org/get-in-touch/#irc-help>

Thanks everyone!

***

Duncan Larsen-Russell
UX Designer