[ux] papers: domestic violence and privacy

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Mon Nov 4 23:47:02 UTC 2019

Here are a couple more (with videos too).

https://www.usenix.org/conference/usenixsecurity19/presentation/chen
Computer Security and Privacy in the Interactions Between Victim Service Providers and Human Trafficking Survivors
Christine Chen, Nicola Dell, Franziska Roesner
	A victim service provider, or VSP, is a crucial partner in a
	human trafficking survivor’s recovery. VSPs provide or connect
	survivors to services such as medical care, legal services,
	employment opportunities, etc. In this work, we study
	VSP-survivor interactions from a computer security and privacy
	perspective. Through 17 semi-structured interviews with staff
	members at VSPs and survivors of trafficking, we surface the
	role technology plays in VSP-survivor interactions as well as
	related computer security and privacy concerns and mitigations.
	Our results highlight various tensions that VSPs must balance,
	including building trust with their clients (often by giving
	them as much autonomy as possible) while attempting to guide
	their use of technology to mitigate risks around
	revictimization. We conclude with concrete recommendations for
	computer security and privacy technologists who wish to partner
	with VSPs to support and empower trafficking survivors.

https://www.usenix.org/conference/usenixsecurity19/presentation/havron
Clinical Computer Security for Victims of Intimate Partner Violence
Sam Havron, Diana Freed, Rahul Chatterjee, Damon McCoy, Nicola Dell, Thomas Ristenpart
	Digital insecurity in the face of targeted, persistent attacks
	increasingly leaves victims in debilitating or even
	life-threatening situations. We propose an approach to helping
	victims, what we call _clinical computer security_, and explore
	it in the context of intimate partner violence (IPV). IPV is
	widespread and abusers exploit technology to track, harass,
	intimidate, and otherwise harm their victims. We report on the
	iterative design, refinement, and deployment of a consultation
	service that we created to help IPV victims obtain in-person
	security help from a trained technologist. To do so we created
	and tested a range of new technical and non-technical tools that
	systematize the discovery and investigation of the complicated,
	multimodal digital attacks seen in IPV. An initial field study
	with 44 IPV survivors showed how our procedures and tools help
	victims discover account compromise, exploitable
	misconfigurations, and potential spyware.