[ux] Suggestion to unblock bridges in China

soncyq47 soncyq47 at protonmail.com
Tue Dec 17 02:00:21 UTC 2019

Philipp Winter, I've seen your presentation on active probing. It's an honour to talk with you.
>>"I'm afraid that the GFW is more efficient at getting bridges from BridgeDB than our users are. We believe that the GFW has code to solve BridgeDB's CAPTCHAs and it's clearly outperforming users."<<

Of-course the GFW can get one bridge faster than a user. The point I was trying to make was that users should be able to get one before the GFW gets all of them.

Also you didn't address the gmail bridges at torproject.org approach. Google uses more than just captchas to prevent someone from mass creating gmail accounts. But just in terms of captcha, it is known that people have programmed bots to solve text based captchas but I would be surprised if any bot today could solve Google's picture based re-captcha. And even if a team of humans at the GFW gets all of them, their dynamic IPs would get them unblocked again, so they would have to constantly get new accounts for months/years in which case Google would certainly respond. Keep in mind this applies to every distribution method!

You could also utilise SMS based distribution.

I have another idea. Each install/first launch of tor browser fingerprints your device and converts that into an arbitrary ID that can't be traced back into anything meaningful. The ID should be encrypted or otherwise hidden so that users can't see/have no control over it. Then that ID is sent to bridges.torproject.org and it answers the same ID the same way. When BrdigeDB decrypts the ID it proves knowledge of a secret that prevents adversary clients from sending many random fake IDs.

Here's another idea. Why do you think ExpressVPN works in China? It's the pay-wall. If many bridge publishers charged for reachability details, that could help decentralise distribution and get a working bridge using an already working method.

Anyway, those are my ideas.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.