[ux] OONI Explorer Revamp Mockups - Measurement Pages

Elio Qoshi elio at openobservatory.org
Thu Nov 15 16:15:16 UTC 2018

Hi  Antonela,

Thanks for getting back! Addressing your points:

A quick example is on the country page, where you have four digits
> measurement qty, and the real number is more close to nine figures. That
> will break your layout.

Very true. We are waiting for real data to populate the country page and
iterate on that. The measurements pages are more of a priority though right
now. They are based on real data however (apart the performance tests).

In general, I would avoid the two columns. Based on the content I see at
the mocks, is perfectly fine if we try a one full-width block per section.

Which pages are you referring to? I'm not a fan of having 1 full width
block for the measurement pages as there is a lot of information we need to
accommodate and that would end up with a lot of vertical white space due to
the nature of the blocks. Isn't that a very mobile-first approach to take?
Explorer will be Desktop focused for now as well.

Another thing to consider is a sub-navigation. It will help users to find
specific sections more accessible. With a sub-navigation, you can extend
your data without sacrifice users time scrolling to see what they are
looking for. A fixed left column menu or classic pill tabs at the top could
make the work.

Again, is this about the Country page or the Measurement pages? Currently,
with a 2 column view, Measurement pages don't offer much to scroll as far
as I'm concerned. I don't think there is much need for sub-nagivation
unless the measurement pages get significantly longer.

Why don't we have here a top header color based on the results of the
measure as we have on Probe now?

The use case of Explorer is different from Probe so we had in mind that it
was important to let the user know in which test environment they are in.
Would you suggest to use the color of the result instead similar to Probe?
That would make it however harder for people to see at the first glance
what type of test they are looking at.

> In addition to all the previous comments, I think that line graphs are
beautiful, and you could go full-width on them. We can have the same line
graph but different options to display, like pills filters. In this
specific case, having upload and download lines showing at the same time
allow users to compare both.

TBH we haven't worked too much on these graphs yet as I'd probably be a bit
restricted on this depending on the dataviz library we will use and see how
it plays out with real data. Those are great points though and having
Upload and Download graphs in one graph is also a good solution (why didn't
I come up with that myself? I guess that's why one should ask for feedback
:) )