[ux] UX team December 2017 report.

isabela isabela at torproject.org
Tue Jan 9 04:33:55 UTC 2018

General
========

In December the UX team got great news about funding for our big website
redesign and user testing project as well as our User Testing Program.
The grant finally came through and now there is nothing holding us back
from getting this work done! :)

We also participated at Mozilla All Hands and got closer to MOSS folks
in general, we hope to keep up with the relationship since there is a
lot both UX teams can learn from each other and cooperate with each other.

Another thing we did was to start organizing user testing that Sukhbir
and Antonela will do in India in January [1]. Got in touch with people
to help organize meetups in different cities where we hope to give talks
about Tor and also perform face to face user testing on the user facing
work we are doing.

Projects:
=======

styleguide.torproject.org
----------------------------
Our styleguide isalmost ready. Weplan on doing an internal/community
only launch in January (this means send emails to tor-project and ux
lists) and then a public launch to the world right after with a blog
post, tbd with comms team. [2]

support.torproject.org
-------------------------
As we described in our last monthly update, we are working on the
website redesign each portal per time.The Support Portal is the first
portal we are working with and is it already in development. [3]

The Comms  and community teams are working closely with us to define and
sort the most useful content to help our users.We hope to have the
content ready by January so we can start with translations!

survey.torproject.org
We are going to have our own survey platform. We have been testing
Limesurvey and we are now ready for deployment. This will be an
important tool for our User Testing Program. [4]

Metrics team - Atlas (relay search) project
Thanks to Teor's invite, we helped the Metrics Team (and all the Tor
Community!) with #24399. [5]

You can check our new set of icons here [6].Irl did an impressive job
putting them together and Antonela will include them on our styleguide
in January.

.onion services UX projects
--------------------------------
With asn from Network team, Georg from TB and Tom Ritter help, we worked
on improving a couple of user experiences for .onion services. We
decided to prioritize two tickets for December:

Ticket : ".Onion everywhere?: increasing the use of onion services
through automatic redirects and aliasing" [7]
Instead of redirecting them, we decided to prompt them for the option to
switch to the .onion address.
We created the mocks for the experience [8] and now asn is driving a
proposal to define how the backend should work to build this experience [9].

Ticket:  Communicating security expectations for .onion: what to say
about different padlock states for .onion services [10]
We are pretty much done with the design part of this work. Now we just
need to finalize the copy and coordinate the implementation with the TB
team. We are organizing all the states, their icons and their copies at
a document linked in the ticket [11].

TB  team - UX updates
----------------------------

Also, we are working with the Tor Browser Team on optimize our circuits
display #24309[12]. We explored a bunch of options and we will continue
to work on it in January with the TB team. We are planning to test some
of this approaches with users during 2018 too.

[1] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/24513
[2] https://pad.riseup.net/p/styleguide-todos
[3] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/24129
[4] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/23669