[ux] Communicating Window Resize Danger

Kevin Gallagher kcg295 at nyu.edu
Thu Aug 30 15:01:27 UTC 2018

Hey David! Good to hear from you!

A quick intro for me, since this is my first time posting on this list.
I'm Kevin, a PhD student at NYU who is focusing on Tor in general, and
Tor Usability in specific.

I think this would be a super useful change. I'm a bit worried about
making the warning a bit more in-your-face due to the potential pop-up
fatigue, but I think that if it's designed well (only asked once per
browsing session, etc.) it would certainly attract more attention to the
issue.

Thanks,

Kevin

On 8/27/18 2:26 PM, David Huerta wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> A quick intro: I’m David, one of the digital security trainers at
> Freedom of the Press Foundation.
>
> A recurring design issue I’ve encountered in trainings around Tor
> Browser is accidental resizing of the Tor Browser window. This is
> especially the case with Tails and other distros using Gnome, which is
> set up to maximize any window dragged far enough upward. In almost
> every case, no trainee notices the warning about browser fingerprinting.
>
> I have some thoughts on how to address this that I’ve added here:
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/20260 and here:
> https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/15766 but curious to see if anyone
> else on the UX list has thought about how to make warnings less
> ignored or preventing not-undoable mistakes.
>
> Cheers,
>
> .dh

Kevin Gallagher
Ph.D. Candidate
Center For Cybersecurity
NYU Tandon School of Engineering
Key Fingerprint: D02B 25CB 0F7D E276 06C3  BF08 53E4 C50F 8247 4861