[ux] UX July 19 meeting summary: discussing changes to the tor browser toolbar

Arthur D. Edelstein arthuredelstein at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 01:54:36 UTC 2017

Hi teor,

Thanks a lot for your feeback.

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 4:41 PM, teor <teor2345 at gmail.com> wrote:

> There are no tab-specific settings: the NoScript button is a
> site-specific setting that works for all tabs on that site.

You're right about this.

> How much people use the no script icon depends on the security
> slider setting they have:
> * In "Low" (the default)
>   * there's not much reason to use the NoScript icon
> * In "Medium" (JavaScript disabled on HTTP)
>   * how many HTTP sites they use that need JavaScript
> * In "High" (JavaScript disabled on all sites)
>   * how many HTTP or HTTPS sites they use that need JavaScript
>
> I use High Security mode, and I use the NoScript button regularly.
> If you took it off the toolbar, I'd want to put it back in my browser.

Yes, I think the NoScript button is quite important for Medium and
High Security, particularly on HTTPs sites. There is no plan to take
away your ability to whitelist scripts or media as the NoScript button
does now. The concern we had is that the NoScript button and menu
usability leaves a lot to be desired. One idea we had during the
discussion was to have a single "security" toolbar button/popup. That
would include the existing security slider (i.e., global settings) and
additional options borrowed from NoScript (for per-site settings). So
you would still be able to turn on scripts and blocked media when
necessary on sites you trust. Please see

Other related tickets inspired by the discussion include:

We're still in the early brainstorming phase -- any comments here or
on these tickets are welcome.

Thanks,
Arthur