[ux] Feedback on my usability evaluation of tor launcher wiki page

Linda Naeun Lee linda at torproject.org
Mon Feb 13 22:11:41 UTC 2017

On 2017-02-11 14:42, Carolin Zöbelein wrote:
> Hi Linda,
>
> at irc I promised you to have a look at
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorLauncherUX2016#Use
> rpainpoints
>
> Hence, here my comments:
>
> 1. In section: "Resulting Improvements"
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorLauncherUX2016#Res
> ultingImprovements
>
> => The order of text/content and tables is confusing. After reading the
> first paragraph ("We used these industry standard metrics ..."), I'm
> expecting the content of table 2 and not one. Perhaps you should write
> the content(order) of the whole section a bit differently.

Thanks!

> 2. A general remark, not especially about this content
> => When I was a student, I participated at a lot of "scientific
> laboratory research" as test person. I don't know the conditions within
> this research was done, but in general the most times if I read
> research papers I missed more information about this conditions and
> about the "test persons". My personal experience is: "official" the
> offer to be a test person was given for all kind of persons but in
> reality the test group was very homogeneous of a special group of
> people.
> E.g. I participated for tests at the economic sciences department of my
> university. Official, to be a test person was open for everybody, but
> in reality, 99% of the participants where freshman economic science
> students. I would say, that's not the average of the population ;)
>
> I only wanted to use the chance to remark my personal experience here.
> I has nothing especially to do with your work :).

Yep, we tried to combat this specifically and talk about it in the paper
(we limited the people from on-campus to 50% and recruited 'normal'
people from the surrounding area through craigslist for the rest), but
not on the wiki. I'll add it.

> This test person time was a strange time. Clicking three hours all the
> time on the same button can be very funny. ;)
>
> Bye,
> Carolin

> Carolin Zöbelein / Nick: Samdney
> PGP: D4A7 35E8 D47F 801F 2CF6 2BA7 927A FD3C DE47 E13B
>
> Am Freitag, den 10.02.2017, 07:55 -0600 schrieb Linda Naeun Lee:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I would like some feedback on my writing. I've gotten my paper
>> accepted
>> into PETS under the condition that I add a section explaining my
>> design
>> considerations[1], which the shepherd thinks it's arguably the most
>> valuable part of my paper. Since it doesn't exist before yesterday,
>> 3)
>> if I should add anything.
>>
>> If you have time, I would love for you to read the whole wiki
>> page[2]
>> and give me feedback on the outline! I've ordered things in the wiki
>> differently than my paper, but I think this makes more sense. But let
>> me
>> know if it doesn't!
>>
>> ヽ(•◡•)ノ,
>> Linda
>>
>> P.S.: Yes, it's long-ish, but it's much, much shorter than my 21-
>> page
>> conference-style paper. ;)
>>
>> [1]
>> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorLauncherUX2016#D
>> esignconsiderations
>> [2] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorLauncherUX20
>> 16

Current Key: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?search=lindanaeunlee
GPG Fingerprint: FA0A C9BE 2881 B347 9F4F C0D7 BE70 F826 5ED2 8FA2