[ux] August 16 UX meeting summary: we're going to survey users about onionbrowser's brand presence

Linda Naeun Lee linda at torproject.org
Wed Aug 16 17:22:04 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Today, we decided that the thing to test most urgently is the brand
relationship between onionbrowser and Tor Browser/Tor Project Inc. We plan
to  survey users from various countries and different amounts of previous
knowledge of Tor, and ask them the questions here
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HjyK_kRqvLkFtmenKksdO6OtsKm1Yy9Ff_goahXF_lI/edit?usp=sharing>.

We had other ideas, but we decided it was important to see if users
believed that onionbrowser was legitimate and would download that browser
over the others. Identifying onionbrowser as having a relationship with Tor
and to realize that other browser do not is a non-trivial task, since
onionbrowser has a different name and icon than Tor Browser, and there are
many others in the app store who are impersonating to be the mobile Tor
browser (see here
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1WoQyQPSqFWDQ2zHZsCajy6Nb8oVC9EPl7M0aFNtg7OI/edit?usp=sharing>).

The next steps are to get the survey ready, host it, and reach out to our
partners to distribute. I hope this will give us some useful information!

Cheers,

  Linda N. Lee
Current Key: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?search=lindanaeunlee
GPG Fingerprint: FA0A C9BE 2881 B347 9F4F C0D7 BE70 F826 5ED2 8FA2