[ux] UX Team Summary (March 2017)

Linda Naeun Lee linda at torproject.org
Mon Apr 3 18:26:16 UTC 2017

Hello all,

Here's what we've been up to in March. ᕦ(^o^)ᕤ

1: Performed user tests on the mobile security slider [1].

We redesigned the security slider for mobile devices, and in the
process, altered the settings and text. From testing, we found out that
people expected the slider to operate differently (some dragged the
slider, some clicked at discrete points, some people clicked on the
words below the slider), and we've used this feedback make sure that all
of these interactions have a response. Participants read all of the text
in the interface and felt better about the new naming convention, but
more improvements could be made to correctly communicate what these
settings are for.

2: Designed the portals for torproject.org [2], especially the support
page [3].

We've designed the support page, and are now working on the content that
will go on the page. Alison and Colin are writing up frequently asked
questions and their respective answers to those questions. We're going
to focus heavily on assisting with the download and installation process
by OS, and cover the most commonly asked questions sent to help at tpo.
Brainstorming at the dev meeting clarified what purposes the other
portals can serve as well.

3: Brainstormed improving tor launcher, browser fonts, and security
slider for tor browser.

All of these were a result of dev meeting goodness. We plan to make
design changes to tor launcher to make it easy to use (we should do this
now), then work on automating the connection process by pinging relays
and bridges to see which ones are reachable (proposal almost finalized),
and eventually work on a meek-fronted scheme that interacts with
bridgeDB for safe connections (proposal pending). We are unsure how the
browser fonts affect the end users, and if it bugs them enough for them
to switch. We also noted that the security slider is hard to adjust, and
is global, which makes user usually default to the lowest security
setting required by any of the sites they regularly frequent.

4: Attended rightscon and interacted with human rights activists,
policymakers, and funders [4].

I, Linda, attended this event, and found it quite energizing. It's not
everyday that you can interact with at-risk users from all over the
world. I also learned a lot, which I liked.

5: Made tor-official images and banners [5].

Elio made some pretty nice looking images! We plan to use them
eventually, when tpo.org is redesigned.

[1]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/UX/OrfoxSecuritySlider#Testing
[2]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/UX/TorProjectWebsite
[3] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/UX/SupportPage
[4] https://www.rightscon.org/program/
[5] https://github.com/uracreative/tor-assets

٩(◕‿◕)۶,
Linda

--
Current Key: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?search=lindanaeunlee
GPG Fingerprint: FA0A C9BE 2881 B347 9F4F C0D7 BE70 F826 5ED2 8FA2