[ux] What are your favorite tools?

sajolida sajolida at pimienta.org
Sat Oct 29 18:53:00 UTC 2016

Linda Naeun Lee:
> Does anyone here have any favorite wireframing, prototyping,
> user-testing tools? I've done a search on the myself, but 1) I'm sure
> I've missed some good ones, and 2) I value your input.

I've never used proprietary tools for UX but I'm trying to figure out
good workflows for my work on Tails and so far I've used (only for
in-person testing):

- OpenOffice Impress for clickable mockups. That's very rough but could
work for some things:

https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/bootstrapping/assistant/router/2nd_iteration/router-sajolida-20150325.odp

- recordmydesktop for recording the desktop and sound during test.
I used this command:

recordmydesktop --on-the-fly-encoding --fps 10 --buffer-size 8192
--channels 1

- Glade, the GTK+ User Interface Builder which allows creating realistic
mockups for paper prototyping even if you don't write the code behind
the widgets:

https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-ux/attachments/20160519/be0b4b69/attachment-0003.pdf

- Inkscape as well, not with JavaScript as Lunar pointed out, but it was
quite fast to get realistic mockups:

https://tails.boum.org/contribute/how/promote/material/slides/IFF-20160306/01_select_a_network_new.png