[ux] What are your favorite tools?

Lunar lunar at torproject.org
Wed Oct 19 20:48:23 UTC 2016

Linda Naeun Lee:
> Does anyone here have any favorite wireframing, prototyping, user-testing
> tools? I've done a search on the myself, but 1) I'm sure I've missed some
> good ones, and 2) I value your input.
>
> Bonus points if:
> -it works well with Tor Browser.
> -it's free.
> -it can do multiple things in the pipeline.
> -it doesn't require downloading software.
>
> My favorite contender so far was UX Pin (It's an easier-to-use competitor of
> Axure RP), a SaaS application allows wireframing, prototyping, annotating,
> and user testing all in one.  However, it doesn't work well with Tor and
> requires a monthly fee.

In the spirit of “free software needs free tools” [1], I recommend
having a look at Inkscape and the SVG format in general.

 [1]: https://mako.cc/writing/hill-free_tools.html

A quick search lead me to think that some people are actually doing
active mockups using Inkscape:
http://www.slideshare.net/kattekrab/inkscape-for-web-and-ui-mockups
http://eclipsesource.com/blogs/2012/07/03/wireframing-inkscape-javascript/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMDu6sj8DkY