[ux] Visual style guidelines next steps

isabela isabela at torproject.org
Mon Oct 3 18:41:21 UTC 2016

Hi there,

Now that we achieved the milestone of releasing internally the visual
style guidelines, we still have a long path ahead of us.

During a session at the Tor Meeting in Seattle, me, Scout and Elio
discussed how to move things with this project.

One thing we have to take into account is that OTF grant for Simply
Secure to hire folks to get this first milestone done is pretty much
done as well :)

So we also need to work on getting more funds here which is part of why
we are proposing the following next steps:

1. Scout and Elio will work on a blog post about the project and the
first version of the visual style guidelines -- we will post it on Tor
Blog as well as Simply Secure blog, and anywhere else people want to
post it I guess ;)

2. Me and Scout will also take the opportunity of OTF summit that is
coming up soon to talk about this collaboration

3. We will sick fund for the next steps which could be the following
(open for feedback):

a) update it with the feedback provided through the internal launch and
f2f meetings (Berlin + Seattle)

b) Work with Tor Browser team to update Tor Browser for Desktop with the
guideline

c) Work with the website team to update it with the guideline

d) Help metrics apply the guidelines to their website redesign (they
have a deliverable related to that)

e) Document what Orfox has to do to comply with the guidelines (for when
we have fund to mobile)

I think that was the plan more or less. As you can see is very simple
and does not list all projects or even list work on re-branding (Phil's
email talks about why this is important and we should not let the idea
die :) But is a start and unfortunate we don't have a lot of resources
to do more for now.

I hope this can at least be enough work for another 6 months (Scout what
do you think?) and then we can pick up again on what is left or who
knows! Maybe we do get more resources and can do it all!!

But right now that is not the reality so it feels these next steps are a
good idea: to at least prep the blog post and start to look for fund for
the rest.

Cheers,
Isabela