[ux] "we have an onion"-sized logo

Linda Naeun Lee linda at torproject.org
Mon Nov 7 15:19:11 UTC 2016

On 2016-11-05 10:33, Jack N. wrote:
> I think this is a great idea, along with perhaps some "standard" sizes
> of logo to be used to show support for Tor and to link back to the Tor
> Project website so that anyone who wants to put a Tor support link can
> do so, and keep the logo more consistent across third party websites.
> The only option I'm aware of currently would be to take the logo from
> the Tor website, wouldn't a zip of several sizes and colours/b&w be
> more consistent?
>
> --
>
> 4. Nov 2016 22:40 by meejah at meejah.ca:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> It would be cool if we had an easy-to-download "tiny" black and white
>> logo for use as a "this site has an onion-service available"
>> icon. i.e. similar to the various "services" logos (github, twitter,
>> etc).
>>
>> I've seen a couple sites do this (one was z.cash, but it appears to be
>> gone now) but using the colour version of the "Tor"-with-onion logo
>> (which looks bad at this size, and way different from others).
>>
>> I guess I kind-of want the "black and white onion" logo from the
>> "Iconography" section of the style-guide, except it looks "too
>> complex"
>> for really tiny sizes. Also, I don't know where to download a vector
>> or
>> raster version of just that one.
>>
>> Probably it would be good if it was licensed such that people could
>> "just include" it in those fonts or SVG packs of "internet services
>> logos"...
>>
>> cheers,
>> meejah

Meejah and Jack--I agree with both of you that this is a great idea, and
something that should be done soon!

Currently, we technically have a place for official images
(https://media.torproject.org/), but dare I say that ...it leaves a lot
to be desired.

Meejah: from looking at the official images
(https://media.torproject.org/image/official-images/), there isn't
anything like the logo that you are looking for. I think that this image
(https://media.torproject.org/image/community-images/toronionbw.png)
would be the best bet for now.

We have been talking about creating something like this. We finalized
the style guide, and we would ideally like to make everything look
consistent and official looking soon. The idea is to work with designers
to create better images, logos, and banners that they can use on their
website (and in svg, so it can ideally be at any size)... but we don't
have someone to do this yet. (anyone lurking on ux-list please ping me
if you want to help with this).

I'll bring this up at the next UX meeting~

Cheers,
Linda

--
Current Key: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?search=lindanaeunlee
GPG Fingerprint: FA0A C9BE 2881 B347 9F4F C0D7 BE70 F826 5ED2 8FA2