[ux] Brand naming resources, inspired by Orfox, Pearl, Mini-tor discussion

Carolin Zöbelein contact at carolin-zoebelein.de
Fri May 13 22:15:22 UTC 2016

Hi,

> And Tor in Chinese sounds kind of like the word for head, which is
> slang for condom, leading people to puns like "check out this website
> -- but use protection!"

Oh, good to know! One important word more for my vocabulary. ;-)

> I'm not claiming we've moved forward much with the branding angle
> there,
> but I think there's something interesting to work with.

There exists about 6000 languages and an unending number of dialects on
the world. That could become hard. :)
But I think a good name should be short, easy to pronounce for people
with different native languages, easy to spell (not too creative) and
it should not already associate for a big part of people with something
other. In particular not with something bad or an other software.

So, if you have an idea you should have a look at the results of a
search engine. (Also for all possible misspellings, for example 'Pearl'
<=> 'Perl').

> ..had generally negative associations with onions (they make you cry,
> give bad breath, etc)..

It depends of your angle of view. You can also say it makes the FBI to
 cry.

Somebody suggested 'Tor browser lite' or something like that. 'Lite'
could be misunderstood as 'less good', 'less software quality', 'less
anonym'.

In addition, one personal comment: 'Branding' for something like Tor
is, for me, very different like for a product of a commercial 	b
usiness.

If you have a business, you want that all people think that your
product is the best and all is fine.

If I talk with people about Tor, I always give my best to emphasize
that only using Tor isn't the solution for all your anonymity
'problems'. People shouldn't get the impression: 'Oh I'm using Tor,
nothing more can happen on me'.

A good name is important but it shouldn't give you a wrong feeling of
anonymity and security.

This are my comments to this issue.
One of my favorite free time activities are languages. Hence, a little
bit more from this language/culture aspect. ;)

Bye,
Carolin

Carolin Zöbelein / Nick: Samdney