[ux] Brand naming resources, inspired by Orfox, Pearl, Mini-tor discussion

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Thu May 12 20:53:27 UTC 2016

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 12:07:38PM -0700, Ame Elliott wrote:
> Ame Comments: Right now Tor is an acronym, but newbie non-users don???t know.

Actually, Tor started its life as an acronym, but we no longer think of
it as an acronym. Now it's just a name.

https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq#WhyCalledTor

> The ???foreign??? word thing versus a neologism is interesting.

Speaking of names:

Tor in German is a gate or a door (or a football goal).

Tor in Turkish is a mountain pass.

Tor in Croatian is the wire mesh enclosure you put your chickens in.

And Tor in Chinese sounds kind of like the word for head, which is
slang for condom, leading people to puns like "check out this website --
but use protection!"

I'm not claiming we've moved forward much with the branding angle there,
but I think there's something interesting to work with.

--Roger