[ux] Fwd: Mobile Tor Browser branding discussion

Nima Fatemi nima at torproject.org
Tue May 10 03:48:02 UTC 2016

Brennan Novak:
> Somehow, i'd be surprised if there's a lot of overlap in the
> demographics of non-technical people we're aiming to make Tor
> accessible for, and technical people who will confuse "Pearl"
> (the potential app name) and "Perl" the popular (in the 90s and
> early 2000s) programming language, IMHO.

+1k. Totally agree.

> Personally, Pearl is a nice and simple name,

As a non-native English speaker, I didn't know "Pearl" is a kind of
onion before this. It might be the case for many people but probably not
a deal breaker. Considering its meaning, I think it's a good name.

> but I also like
> "OrFox" and think some variations on the logo would resolve our
> issue. There's also the trend to call mobile browsers (with
> limited features) "Lite" so in our case:
>
> Tor Browser Lite
>
> As that would have the benefits of sounding similar and being
> familiar for a user to search by title / name!

The only caveat is that this Tor Browser on mobile, is never going to
have the security features of the Tor Browser on desktop. At least not
anytime soon.

Whatever name we end up picking, we should be careful to not to give a
false sense of security to users. My understanding is that people use
Tor on mobile mostly to bypass censorship... or at least that's what I'm
hoping, since a) I haven't done any studies on this, and b) anonymity on
mobile is much of a bigger issue that tor products alone might not be
able to solve. (baseband issues, GSM based tracking, etc)

Best,
--
Nima
0XC009DB191C92A77B | @mrphs

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right
to say it" --Evelyn Beatrice Hall