[ux] Fwd: Mobile Tor Browser branding discussion

Philip L. mail at phlammert.de
Sun May 8 13:18:13 UTC 2016

Hi UX team,

Orfox:
I already wondered about the derivative Firefox logo. I don’t see a
problem in the swearing-like sound. I also never thought of “Fire
f*cks“. Would it be a problem to keep the name and find a unique visual
that doesn’t refer to Firefox app icon?

Pearl Onion Browser:
It might be a personal thing, but it reminds me of the programming
language PEARL. As Tor itself still has a (nerd-only) bad accessibility
connotation, “Pearl” overexerts me even more. I didn’t think of actual
pearl onions when I first read it. Though the link to Tor and its
graphic illustration is neat.

Minitor:
The derivation sounds a bit too simple and uninspiring to me. The doubt
of the mentioned Minotaur association as a bit scary is justified. Even
if you show a cute little Minotaur with big eyes. And this fantasy myth
thing is a bit geeky, too, I think.

Alternative to Orfox:
Orpossum
If we think of a friendly mascot, the opossum might be an option. Or are
there any negative associations as it is a rat?

Alternative to Pearl Onion:
Spring Onion
“Spring” sounds positive. And the spring onion is a small vegetable too.
Or is that one too obvious?

Other alternatives
Searching for suffixes I came to these neologisms:
Onionymous – sounds like anonymous
Onionette - as the smaller form like in cigarette, kitchenette or diskette.
Onionaire - someone who has a million onions (?). The “air” might refer
to mobile devices.

Other brainstormed output (some might be cheesy): Onionarium, Onionity,
Onionce, Onionicity, Onionion, Onionatic, Onionaut, Onionomy, Oniomplex,
Oniompolis, Onionee, Onioneer, Onionian (phonetically funny), Onioness,
Torrific

Other neologisms:
Onean, Onionne, Browzion (Browser-onion), Onillion, Micronion,
Macaronion, Smartor, Toronion, Toranium, Ammonion, Neutronion, Plutonion

Other friendly related names:
Tortuga, Tortilla

Sorry, that are a lot of ideas. I hope it was helpful anyway. How is the
further process? Who will make decisions?

Regards
Philip