[ux] The lost Tor logo redesign

Philip Lammert mail at phlammert.de
Mon Mar 28 07:24:55 UTC 2016

Hi,

it’s good to see that the Tor UX including visual design is advancing. I
once made a logo redesign that somehow didn’t find many attention and
got lost in the tor-dev mailing list. [1]

Now that a few months passed the design [2] doesn’t look final. The
integration of the onion symbol as the o of the wordmark doesn’t feel
contemporary and professional. The typeface of T and r as well. Naming a
URL in the logo looks awkward. And so on.

The Orbot design from the free OSX icon set fits better to the flat
design than the old one, but brings similar concerns regarding the
performance. The geometric interpretation of the onion makes it still
look like a bomb in small sizes. Misleadingly the sprout is a leaf now
and its size in comparison to the bulb is imbalanced. The cut out part
of the onion divides it and makes a two-tier graphic rather than an
entity. The contrast of the two parts makes the displaying in many
environments difficult.

If you think my design of the onion symbol itself is okay, I could try
another design. It would be a pity having a designer putting effort in a
style guide while the existing elements will never make the corporate
design look good and professional.

Regards
Philip

[1] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2015-November/009837.html