[ux] Creative brief for the style guide

sajolida sajolida at pimienta.org
Sat Mar 26 14:22:52 UTC 2016

Sara Sinclair Brody:
> First: Nima, thank you for the reminder on mailing list etiquette. It's
> been a long time since I really had a mailing list as part of my regular
> workflow! My apologies.
>
> Next: Sajolida, this is an excellent point.

Thanks!

> I am so curious to know how it
> is that these different versions of the logo came into being, and if it was
> simply because different people were using different programs to create
> graphics at different times (and working from a vector version of the image
> vs. bitmap, different color profiles, etc.).

Maybe I can elaborate a bit more on the story behind some of these:

The green onion in the Tor Browser toolbar probably comes from the
green/red onion of the old Torbutton extension for Firefox (at the time
you could switch Torbutton on and off and the onion would be green or
red). Now the Torbutton can only be "on" and the onion is always green
but probably that the fact that it's monochrome comes from there.

The grey onion in the system menu of Tails is new and is also used to
depict the status of Tor: on the screenshot Tor is connected, when Tor
is not connected the onion has a little grey cross. The GNOME 3.0
guidelines (GNOME 3.0 is the desktop environment used in Tails) call for
monochrome status icons in the system menu.

In both the green onion in Tor Browser and the grey onion in Tails, the
green sprout on top of the onion have been removed. This is likely
because these have to be small and thus are more visible with an image
that first in a square; and when made smaller, the onion with the sprout
is more narrow than square, and less visible.

When removing the sprout in the grey onion in Tails and making it
smaller, the narrow part at the top of the onion (the junction with the
sprout) gets quite tiny as well and less visible; turning it into some
kind of sad circle with "something" on top. The inner layers of the
onion are also hard to make small.