[ux] Update of Styleguide *Process*

Ame Elliott ame at simplysecure.org
Fri Jul 29 15:05:05 UTC 2016

Here’s draft v1 of the process. This needs to go on the wiki, but let’s start the conversation here. What’s missing? Needs clarification/correction?

See you on IRC in 3-2-1 …

~Ame

Creative brief
Initial discussion on how to write a successful brief, written up here <https://simplysecure.org/blog/creative-briefs>.
After the Tor Dev meeting in Valencia and growing momentum for the UX group, we came up with a process for co-creating <https://storm.torproject.org/shared/A4w1l5pDZZZPU2wKiYWo1JjWoCK3b4APPfAssHctsRR> a Creative Brief.
In March and April 2016 we discussed on the mailing list and IRC, with two cycles of feedback requested.
After feedback and iteration, we finalized a version of the Creative Brief <https://github.com/simplysecure/tor/blob/master/CreativeBriefforTorProjectStyleGuide.pdf>.
Note: some members of the UX team advocating more extensive body of work to create a full-brand architecture and corporate design. However, the team decided that this was a small first step toward that eventual goal.
Publicizing the call
We shared it to the Tor UX mailing list.
Shared the call on Open Source Design’s github page <https://github.com/opensourcedesign/jobs> at the end of March.
Ame reached out directly to her network of designers and design agencies via Facebook groups, designer mailing lists.
Applicants
We received 7 applications and narrowed that down to top 4.
Evaluation criteria
Portfolio showing depth in branding and example style guides
Professional experience managing the process of working with multiple, distributed stakeholders on open-source projects, ideally on projects with large, globally distributed users
Knowledge of open-source typography
Knowledge of Tor and the Tor community, support of open-source values and, compfort with open-source tools, and IRC. Note: For future projects, Ame would suggest relaxing the IRC constraint and consider the importance of prior knowledge of the Tor community.
Selection
One of the submissions was from an LA-based design agency, from outside the Tor and open source design communities. Ame did a video conference with them to understand more about their background, and point of view. Their portfolio was minimal and did not closely relate to the criteria above.
Finalists Elio and Philip did well on all the criteria.
Because Elio had previously worked with Mozilla, and had prior work specifically addressing the challenge of multiple open-source projects needing to come together under one, well-documented set of brand guidelines, we decided to make him the lead designer
Philip has been involved with the Tor UX effort, so we suggested he act as a reviewer to provide some context around the history of design at Tor.
Scope
This initial style guide is a small step towards a complete re-design or re-brand.
Elio will spend ~20 hours on the guide
Phillip will spend ~5 reviewing
Moving forward
Place-holder for the various drafts of things Elio has shared