[ux] Tor Launcher UX wiki page is now live! + Updates

Linda Naeun Lee lnl at berkeley.edu
Mon Jan 25 19:34:55 UTC 2016

Spencer:

Thank you for your enthusiasm and valuable feedback. I do agree that
documentation is quite important, and I am doing my best to document
progress along the way.

   - For clarity, I agree that "Users pick up on unintentional messages
   from the UI" should be reworded to "People come to their own conclusions
   about what to do next when the appropriate information is not available in
   the interface".
   - I agree that people don't like to read. We tried to decrease the
   amount of text, but when working with such a big technology gap, there
   needs to be a balance between usability and utility (communication of
   critical information). I would personally lean toward an interface which
   irritates users with text initially but provides helpful information right
   at the interface to people who get stuck.
   - The "Ideal path" I was talking about was implicit, so it may have
   seemed unclear. Ideally, people who don't need to circumvent censorship
   will click connect, and people who do need to circumvent censorship should
   try certain transports before others.
   - We have data on various error cases from our participants (i.e. unable
   to connect due to clock drift, correct bridge configuration and
   misconfiguration of a proxy but a proxy wasn't necessary, etc.), but it
   isn't processed. It is on the list of things to do, however.
   - auto-proxy detection is something that can be done locally (so not put
   the user at risk), which is why it has been discussed as a reasonable
   things to hand over to Tor rather than leave at the hands of the user.
   Especially when it was the biggest source of confusion, we believe this can
   have great impact.
   - I don't think smarter redirections are making decisions for users, but
   helping users make better decisions. You are right. No decision has been
   made, but we are optimizing the flow in which they can make their own
   decisions to fix their configuration. (i.e. if the user wants to fix the
   bridge configuration, they don't need to click through the proxy
   configuration screen again).
   - we added a progress bar to help build a mental model. We did keep the
   arrows to give the idea of a workflow, but chose to not number the steps
   (since technically, you can configure bridges before proxies and visa
   versa).
   - changing user behaviors to not put themselves at risk or ask for help
   is hard. But it's something we should talk about. I'll look into the links
   provided.
   - I agree that a whole-systems work can be beneficial. Due to personal
   timelines, scoping, and to not bite off more than we can chew, we have
   chosen to focus on the part of the interface which deals with
   censorship circumvention. We did do some previous work to improve the
   usabiilty of Tor more generally, which you can find here:
   https://blog.torproject.org/blog/ux-sprint-2015-wrapup,
   https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?keywords=~uxsprint2015

Cheers,

--