[ux] Why Is Usable Security Hard, and What Should We Do about it?

Spencer spencerone at openmailbox.org
Sun Feb 7 00:02:06 UTC 2016

Hi,

> Nima Fatemi:
> presentation by 'Adrienne Porter Felt'
> about "Why Is Usable Security Hard, and > What Should We Do about it?"

Thanks for sharing this (: It is nice to see others supporting the fact that design is science, even if by another name.

Aside from not establishing what is meant by "usability" or "security", the recommended resolution, though great, is testing ):

It is unclear how testing, only quantitative it seems, makes things more usable or more secure, especially given the abductive reasoning they used to finally get their notifications to work.

More value can be extracted from also knowing 'why', instead of only knowing 'that'. Additional qualitative testing would be nice.

> She tackles important topics on
> usability of security software.

The focus was on compliance and only compliance.

The most important topic, which was grossly overlooked, is education.

How can we educate people, instead of making things "invisible", to increase usability.

Each experience is a transaction. Each transaction is an opportunity for education.

1 transaction = 1 education

> Chrome UX.

Quite unusable ):

Wordlife,