[ux] Tor Configuration Dialogue User Study Update

sajolida sajolida at pimienta.org
Wed Dec 9 10:34:06 UTC 2015

David Fifield:
> On Sat, Dec 05, 2015 at 02:49:39PM +0000, sajolida wrote:
>> Linda Naeun Lee:
>>> 1. people don't know how the internet works, so they don't know how
>>> censorship works. People know that they are being censored, but it's hard
>>> for them to distinguish between censored websites and censored internet
>>> connections; most people who didn't need bridges felt compelled to set one
>>> up because they were being censored (we censored websites, but not their
>>> connection), and got stuck.
>>
>> I'm not sure to understand what you mean by "censored websites" and
>> "censored Internet connections". Can you explicit a bit more you are
>> putting behind these and what's the different, maybe in technical terms?
>
> A lot of censors block web sites but they don't try to block
> circumvention systems. This is what we usually see from naive or less
> serious censors. It's what's happening right now in Bangladesh--web
> sites are blocked, so people use Tor to circumvent the blocks, and that
> works because Tor is not blocked.

Understood now, thanks! So this refers for example to a country blocking
connections to the IP of a website (or doing this in a smarter way but
interfering with this particular connection only). And not to domain
name or hardware seizure by the FBI for example (which are a different
kind of "censored websites").

I was wondering whether you were exploring the mental model of users in
the later case, where Tor can't help you I think.

> https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-relay-country.html?graph=userstats-relay-country&start=2015-10-01&end=2015-12-08&country=bd&events=off
>
> Other censors block not only web sites, but also circumvention systems
> like Tor. Against these censors you need to use bridges and pluggable
> transports. This is what censors like Iran and China do.

Yes.

> The difference matters for configuration. If the censor only blocks web
> sites and doesn't block Tor, then all you need to do is click "Connect"
> on the first screen. If the censor blocks Tor, then "Connect" won't
> work, and the user needs to figure out how to configure bridges and
> pluggable transports, which is harder to do.

Indeed, now it's clear how this different matters when interacting with
Tor Launcher.