[ux] Tor Configuration Dialogue User Study Update

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Tue Dec 8 06:13:08 UTC 2015

On Sat, Dec 05, 2015 at 02:49:39PM +0000, sajolida wrote:
> Linda Naeun Lee:
> > 1. people don't know how the internet works, so they don't know how
> > censorship works. People know that they are being censored, but it's hard
> > for them to distinguish between censored websites and censored internet
> > connections; most people who didn't need bridges felt compelled to set one
> > up because they were being censored (we censored websites, but not their
> > connection), and got stuck.
>
> I'm not sure to understand what you mean by "censored websites" and
> "censored Internet connections". Can you explicit a bit more you are
> putting behind these and what's the different, maybe in technical terms?

A lot of censors block web sites but they don't try to block
circumvention systems. This is what we usually see from naive or less
serious censors. It's what's happening right now in Bangladesh--web
sites are blocked, so people use Tor to circumvent the blocks, and that
works because Tor is not blocked.

https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-relay-country.html?graph=userstats-relay-country&start=2015-10-01&end=2015-12-08&country=bd&events=off

Other censors block not only web sites, but also circumvention systems
like Tor. Against these censors you need to use bridges and pluggable
transports. This is what censors like Iran and China do.

The difference matters for configuration. If the censor only blocks web
sites and doesn't block Tor, then all you need to do is click "Connect"
on the first screen. If the censor blocks Tor, then "Connect" won't
work, and the user needs to figure out how to configure bridges and
pluggable transports, which is harder to do.