[ux] Tor Configuration Dialogue User Study Update

Linda Naeun Lee lnl at berkeley.edu
Tue Dec 1 19:38:27 UTC 2015

Spencer:

Thank you for the insightful comments! It is helpful to have someone who
has worked on this to give us feedback on the work that we are doing.

The point you made about "connect directly" was a concern we have yet to
address in the prototype. Some of our participants thought that the connect
button (in the old interface) always used a vanilla Tor connection, which
wasn't true. Some of our participants did not know how they successfully
connected to Tor because of this confusion.

Since hunting for proxies is the most common failure case, I agree that the
proxy configuration screen could use some work to make the "skip this step"
more noticeable.

We have yet to finalize the text we will put in the dialogue, hence the
lack of dialogue. I think the current text, which gives guidance on what
bridges and proxies, serves a good purpose and we will also try to inform
the users of these concepts.

--
Linda Naeun Lee