[tor-teachers] Questions and notes from BBC interview

Kenneth Freeman kencf0618 at riseup.net
Thu Jul 13 01:03:25 UTC 2017

On 07/10/2017 04:55 PM, isis agora lovecruft wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Attached are the questions for the BBC radio interview I did last Friday,
> and my notes on answering them, in the event that this could somehow prove
> useful to someone else in the future.

Good stuff.

Regarding the forensic analysis of typing patterns, telegraph operators
back in the day could recognize each other by their "fist" alone. Dunno
is this was used for signal analysis during WWI, but it seems likely...

The National Science Foundation contributes to the Tor Foundation. I'm
sure they have excellent scientific reasons for doing so, but I've never
come across an explanation.

I always remark whilst discussing exit nodes that you are neither
legally nor ethically liable for criminal usage, anymore than you are
for drunk drivers -your taxes pay for both the road network and the
anonymity network. (Of course, running a Tor exit requires some legal
boilerplate, but it's basically a public relations issue, not a legal
issue.)

Unfortunately Wikipedia is heavy-handed regarding Tor because of the
abuse it enables. That's their protocol, and I don't know how to parse
it or how to have your bona fides presented. That said, I have included
the shift to Rust.

Many thanks for your work.