[tor-teachers] Surveillance, Privacy, Networks and Encryption v2

Kenneth Freeman kencf0618 at riseup.net
Fri Jan 22 00:08:21 UTC 2016

On 01/21/2016 05:40 AM, Hugo Maxwell Connery wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks to some very helpful comments by Paul Syverson I offer
> a second, much improved version of this document.
>
> Its the same "conversational" style providing a ground up
> description of the surveillance and anonymity problem for
> a low tech audience with a reasonably aware teacher.  This
> includes how proxies and VPNs provide only partial solutions
> to these problems and how Tor provides a much better solution.
>
> I also present a collection of general attacks against Tor
> and briefly show the challenges that they entail.  Again,
> this is as 'no-tech' as possible.

I'm reminded the adage "VPN before Tor, FBI at the door."

Speaking of which, I've had the opportunity recently to hear an FBI
special agent speak at a private function, and believe me, if you ever
have an opportunity to speak to an FBI special agent without the need
for an attorney to represent you, grab it. Their public input in and of
itself is very interesting on several levels...

The man said that Tor is a very good product, and (admittedly
anecdotally) that he encounters it, if only tangentially, in 20% of his
investigations, mostly terrorism investigations.

Tor itself gives talks to law enforcement agencies; it behoves all
parties involved to know the drill, savvy? OODA-loop stuff.