[tor-teachers] Material for Tor talk

Henry de Valence hdevalence at riseup.net
Wed Sep 9 13:25:25 UTC 2015

On 09/09/15 12:32 AM, Tania Silva wrote:
> Do we have some material about it?

Hi,

A year or two ago we (myself and @uniphil) ran a demo at our university
for a non-technical audience on how Tor works by actually "implementing"
a physical mix network, along with talking about how Tor works in
particular.

We got different coloured party hats to give out, then wrote messages
and put them inside layered envelopes, each with colour-coded
instructions (e.g., "pass to RED"). Then we had everybody pass them
around and make a physical mix network. (One person gets to stand on a
chair and watch as the global passive adversary).

I assume this has been done before (maybe there's a nice writeup
somewhere?), and I don't know how much more effective it was than just
talking about how Tor works, but it was certainly a lot of fun.

Henry