[tor-teachers] tor teachers -- politics

Lara lara.tor at emails.veryspeedy.net
Tue Oct 20 19:19:18 UTC 2015

Jacob Appelbaum:
> I'd still like to know what the original poster meant by political in
> the context of this mailing list. It seems that we should be open and
> willing to hear this definition and to use it as a starting point.
> there may be a set of people who consider themselves "non-political"
> when teaching Tor and I'd like to ensure that we don't exclude them.
> First though, I'd really like to hear what that means from someone who
> feels this describes their views or desires for this list.

I am speculating, but maybe the people who consider themselves
"non-political" are actually making a mistake in terms. Based on my
previous experience, they simply mean *non-partisan*. Meaning they are
political, but would avoid to take anybody's part.

I just come from enjoying a movie about the Freedom Riders[1] and the
movement around them. In later stages, people would go around and talk
to the folks to make them register as voters. The act is extremely
political, but that does not mean also telling people whom to vote.

Myself I am that kind of person. I do not care much about political
parties. And I feel they are generally serving the same purpose, only
for a different gang. Yet I do not think people should refrain from voting.

Cheers

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_Riders