[tor-teachers] tor teachers -- politics

Kenneth Freeman kencf0618 at riseup.net
Mon Oct 19 22:23:51 UTC 2015

On 10/19/2015 06:39 AM, Alison Macrina wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> I understand that you didn't sign up for political discussions, but the
> very act of teaching Tor is political in most countries. I think it is
> imperative that we understand the political climates we might face,
> especially in countries that are not our own, and share our experiences
> (as well as solidarity) with other folks here. I'd like to hear what
> other people think, but I'm personally strongly against forbidding
> politics on this list.

I grew up in the backwash of the '60s, and a common catchphrase back in
day was that "The personal is political."

Anonymity is just politics in a different register.

Just ask Hamilton, Madison, and Jay.

People use Tor for diverse political reasons. I have been told by
someone in a position to know that running a Tor relay helps keep people
alive.

If that's not political, what is?