[tor-teachers] tor teachers -- politics

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Mon Oct 19 12:44:16 UTC 2015

On 10/19/15, Alison Macrina <macrina at riseup.net> wrote:
> Changing the subject line to be more relevant...
>
> Stephen:
>> Anyone mind if we can stay off of politics? I'd really like to stay
>> subscribed to this list.
>
> Hi Stephen,
>
> I understand that you didn't sign up for political discussions, but the
> very act of teaching Tor is political in most countries. I think it is
> imperative that we understand the political climates we might face,
> especially in countries that are not our own, and share our experiences
> (as well as solidarity) with other folks here. I'd like to hear what
> other people think, but I'm personally strongly against forbidding
> politics on this list.

What does non-political even mean in the context of discussing human rights?

Consider that in Brazil, anonymity is not a right as it is in the
United States. It is even forbidden in the Brazilian Constitution
according to some legal analysis I've heard/read/seen/discussed. This
is an important political reality and it requires teaching Tor
differently in Brazil than we might otherwise tackle it.

I'd be curious if Stephen could define what he means? I don't think I
understand what political means to him. Stephen, could you explain
what you mean?

>> So I happen to be flying around teaching classes already. Does anyone
>> know
>> if we have any tools for getting people and classes scheduled? I have all
>> the materials, but no students :-)
>
> That depends on a lot of things. Where are you hosting the classes? What
> promotional tools are available to you? I teach all of my classes at
> libraries, which means I can use their built-in publicity resources.

I find the best way to find students is to visit established communities.

All the best,
Jacob