[tor-teachers] The Parable of the Clever Servant and Her Leaky Bucket

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Mon Nov 23 20:18:11 UTC 2015

Tired of the same old analogies and metaphors for talking about
encryption and security, I decided to embark on a bit of a creative
writing exercise inspired by Rumi, the 13th century Persian
poet/writer/teacher/thinker....

****

A servant was given a bucket and told to draw water from the well down
the hill. The bucket was full of holes, making the servant's work
difficult, annoying and even dangerous, since she had to take more trips
through the woods at night to bring enough water to the house each day.
The woods were full of wolves and vagabonds, you see. The servant's
master would watch her from the house as she made trips to and from the
well throughout the day.

The servant, being smart and resourceful, decided to patch the holes in
her leaky bucket with tar and sticks. The repaired bucket kept all of
the water inside, and made the servant safer since she could easily
finish her work with less trips in the daylight hours. She also found a
faster path around the woods, that took her away from the house. She was
proud of herself, but apparently her master was not. He summoned her one
morning, and asked why she had repaired the bucket, and why she no
longer walked by the house. She was confused, as she thought he would be
pleased with her improved efficiency and safety. Instead he said
"Without the trail of leaks upon the path in front of the house, I
cannot easily see what you are carrying is actually water, and instead
wine you are sneaking in from your vagabond friends! I made your bucket
leaky on purpose, and the fact you have patched it and changed your path
proves you are up to mischief and wrongdoing."

The servant built up her courage and replied "Are you drunk each
morning? Are you bathing in wine? Of course not. You only need to taste
the water at your table, and see the clarity of that in which you bathe
to know I am honestly performing my duties. I am no friend to the
vagabond. I fear them. I only patched the leaks and found a better route
to make my job easier and safer, so that you may have your water, and I
may live a longer life." The master considered her wise words, and then
promptly threw her in the dungeon, since she was clearly too smart and
skilled to be trusted.

A new servant was called, given a new leaky bucket, and told that for
her safety, she should never ever patch it, and she must always take the
house path, else she might be eaten by wolves, sadly like the servant
before her.

--
  Nathan of Guardian
  nathan at guardianproject.info