[tor-teachers] Material for Tor talk

malte at wk3.org malte at wk3.org
Tue Dec 15 13:46:48 UTC 2015

Hi everybody,

I participate in a lot of CryptoParties and have explained Tor in this
context so many times that I think I have something which may be a good
structure for explaining Tor – again – in this context, which is an
audience that is generally interested and _wants to learn_ but on the
other hand is not in more danger than any other person who uses the
Internet.

So I have recorded what resembles something like the general gist in the
hope that it might help others and/or maybe spark a discussion on what I
have left out and what could be improved.

In general what you can see in the video comes after my "What happens
when you browse" session where I explain how one might be tracked and
surveilled during normal browsing behaviour, and what counter measures
one might take without leaving the browsing environment one is already
aquainted with.

So HTTPS and the dangers of JavaScript are usually already covered.

What might also be already covered, or what one could separate into its
own little thing as I do with asymmetric cryptography, is how the
Internet works, i.e. that there are many computers relaying the packets,
and that these are operated by people – who make mistakes, who are just
a bit too curious, etc. the whole human spectrum.

What I also want to show is, that really nothing is needed but a piece
of paper and a pen, and maybe your hands for gesturing key pairs and
such things.

https://owncloud.enteig.net/index.php/s/gmK8zFBUfSJ55oE (password:
"onions", expires 31-Dec-2015, CC-BY-SA, only for teaching human
teachers, especially not for training machines and/or software)

And I hope I will find the time of deploying Let's Encrypt in the near
future...

Sincerely,

Malte