[tor-talk] Tor users from Finland jumped from 25 000 to 200 000

Markus Ottela oottela at cs.helsinki.fi
Fri Jan 14 03:38:14 UTC 2022

Hi David,

The creation of the Onion Service uses tempfile to create a temporary
directory each time a new Onion Service is spin up, but as per the log
files, there was only 25 Onion Services created during that time.

As for the client-side, new requests session was created for each
connection*. I assumed Tor would keep a tunnel open to one guard node,
and that each new session/connection would pass through it.

*In hindsight this I should've only done the GET requests inside the loop.

Here's the script I was running:
https://gist.github.com/maqp/0e5dcf542ebb97baf98d198115e931ea

Markus