[tor-talk] New release: Tor 0.4.6.4-rc

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Fri May 28 16:27:28 UTC 2021

Hi, all!

There's a new Tor release candidate! Because it's not stable yet, you
might find bugs in it-- we still hope that it will get testing,
though, so we can fix those bugs before the final release in June.

The source code is available from the download page at
https://www.torproject.org/download/tor/ ; if you build Tor from
source, why not give it a try? And if you don't build Tor from source,
packages should be ready over the coming days, with a Tor Browser
alpha release likely next week.

Here's what's new:

Changes in version 0.4.6.4-rc - 2021-05-28
  Tor 0.4.6.4-rc fixes a few bugs from previous releases. This, we hope,
  the final release candidate in its series: unless major new issues are
  found, the next release will be stable.

  o Minor features (compatibility):
    - Remove an assertion function related to TLS renegotiation. It was
      used nowhere outside the unit tests, and it was breaking
      compilation with recent alpha releases of OpenSSL 3.0.0. Closes
      ticket 40399.

  o Minor bugfixes (consensus handling):
    - Avoid a set of bugs that could be caused by inconsistently
      preferring an out-of-date consensus stored in a stale directory
      cache over a more recent one stored on disk as the latest
      consensus. Fixes bug 40375; bugfix on 0.3.1.1-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (control, sandbox):
    - Allow the control command SAVECONF to succeed when the seccomp
      sandbox is enabled, and make SAVECONF keep only one backup file to
      simplify implementation. Previously SAVECONF allowed a large
      number of backup files, which made it incompatible with the
      sandbox. Fixes bug 40317; bugfix on 0.2.5.4-alpha. Patch by
      Daniel Pinto.

  o Minor bugfixes (metrics port):
    - Fix a bug that made tor try to re-bind() on an already open
      MetricsPort every 60 seconds. Fixes bug 40370; bugfix
      on 0.4.5.1-alpha.

  o Removed features:
    - Remove unneeded code for parsing private keys in directory
      documents. This code was only used for client authentication in v2
      onion services, which are now unsupported. Closes ticket 40374.