[tor-talk] Looking for information about onion site user deanonymization

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Mon May 3 06:20:05 UTC 2021

Hi tor-talk,

I'm working as a consultant to a criminal defense lawyer who's
representing a defendant in a case involving Tor and an investigation
by U.S. law enforcement and foreign law enforcement.

In 2019 a foreign law enforcement agency claimed to identify the clearnet
IP addresses of a large number of people who were accessing an onion
site that the agency itself was monitoring or had taken control of.
We know of various methods by which this might be done, but I'm wondering
whether anyone has heard concretely about law enforcement capabilities
or practices in this area if users have not de-anonymized themselves,
or rumors or reports of this being done about two years ago.

Thanks!