[tor-talk] Can't perform self-tests for this relay: we have listed ourself in ExcludeNodes, and StrictNodes is set. We cannot learn whether we are usable, and will not be able to advertise ourself.

Matt Traudt pastly at torproject.org
Tue Jun 29 12:43:20 UTC 2021

On 6/28/21 13:31, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I guess since updating to tor-0.4.6.5-0.fc34.x86_64 I get a load of
> messages like in the subject, even though my IP is not in ExcludeNodes
> and even though I did not change the config for a few weeks at least.
>
> What is the issue here? (not blatant misconfiguration I guess)

A few responses that don't answer your question:

- You know people can use your relay to build nearly any circuit they
want, right? The Exclude*Nodes options don't affect that. It says so in
the man page under ExcludeNodes.

- The Exclude*Nodes settings only apply when your Tor builds a circuit
for its own purposes, which includes self-testing apparently.

- This looks like a very confused torrc. Do you want to be a client,
thus the Exclude*Nodes, StrictNodes, LongLivedPorts options make sense?
Do you want to be a bridge, thus the ServerTransport*, ExtORPort options
make sense? Do you want to be an exit, thus the Bandwidth, Accounting,
and omitted ExitPolicy options make sense?

- Please set a real ContactInfo.

- What in the world are you trying to accomplish with the long list of
relays to exclude?

The responses that do try to answer your question:

- I'm guessing that you have a new GeoIP database that either thinks
your relay is in one of the excluded countries or doesn't know where it
is (thus it matches {??}).

- Or you don't have a GeoIP database (anymore?). Thus both
GeoIPExcludeUnknown AND {??} in the ExcludeNodes lists cause the problem.