[tor-talk] New release candidate: Tor 0.4.5.4-rc

NOC tor at afo-tm.org
Fri Jan 22 23:53:27 UTC 2021

> On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 12:02:50 -0500
> Nick Mathewson <nickm at torproject.org> wrote:
>
>>    o Major bugfixes (authority, IPv6):
>>      - Do not consider multiple relays in the same IPv6 /64 network to be
>>        sybils. Fixes bug 40243; bugfix on 0.4.5.1-alpha.
> Each /64 should be treated as an equivalent to 1 address in the IPv4 world, so
> it seems to me that the original code was correct.

The code should not exist at all, if you have a fast server you need to
waste so many IPs for Tor because it doesn't scale beyond one core and
doesn't let you run more than two instances on one IP. And it is still
unclear if this does help against any real world threats at all or if it
actually harms because operaters don't want to waste IPs and won't give
as much bandwith as they could without that limitations.