[tor-talk] trackers in OONI Probe Mobile App / was: NEW RiseupVPN test in OONI Probe Mobile App

Maria Xynou maria at openobservatory.org
Mon Feb 8 10:15:43 UTC 2021

Dear Christian,

Thanks for your email.

We are using the open source tool Countly in a *self-hosted* way
specifically because we care about user privacy.

This means that the UK company you speak of does *not* collect OONI
Probe users' data.

Importantly: You can opt-out of Countly and Firebase data collection by
disabling this in the Settings of your OONI Probe app.

We need to use Countly in order to:

1. Send push notifications (for users who have opted-in to this)  =>
This is important to coordinate testing during emergent censorship events

2. Submit crash reports => This is important to fix the app

We recently enabled Firebase because we were investigating several app
crashes that were not being displayed properly by Countly.

We are not sure if we are going to keep Firebase in the long-run, but
it's difficult to investigate app crashes without proper reports.

Do you have any suggestions for better tools to collect app crashes on
Android?

You can learn more about OONI data practices through our Data Policy:
https://ooni.org/about/data-policy

Cheers,

Maria.

--