[tor-talk] trackers in OONI Probe Mobile App / was: NEW RiseupVPN test in OONI Probe Mobile App

Christian Pietsch christian.pietsch at digitalcourage.de
Fri Feb 5 17:45:00 UTC 2021

Dear Maria,
dear OONI Probe users,

having used OONI Probe on Android devices in the past, I was shocked
to find out today that at least the version distributed via Google's
Play Store seems to contain two trackers, namely Countly and Google
Firebase Analytics: https://reports.exodus-privacy.eu.org/en/reports/161999/

Countly is UK based. They admit that they collect personal data from
users as defined in the GDPR: https://count.ly/legal/privacy-policy
Regarding Google (Firebase) Analytics, we know they collect any data
they can. Trackers are spyware. Don't use apps that contain them!

F-Droid provides a version of OONI Probe to Android users that is
tracker-free – like all apps in this app store. I double-checked it
using the Exodus software mentioned above on the command line.
https://f-droid.org/de/packages/org.openobservatory.ooniprobe/

Why don't you provide a clean version of your app to the majority of
Android users who still rely on Google's Play Store, OONI?

Cheers,
Christian