[tor-talk] Tor 0.4.5.5-rc is released

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Mon Feb 1 21:04:05 UTC 2021

Hi, all!

There's a new Tor release candidate! We think this will be the last
one before 0.4.5.x is stable.

The source code is available from the download page at
https://www.torproject.org/download/tor/ ; if you build Tor from
source, why not give it a try? And if you don't build Tor from source,
packages should be ready over the coming days, with a Tor Browser
alpha release likely in the coming week.

Here's what's new:

Changes in version 0.4.5.5-rc - 2021-02-01
  Tor 0.4.5.5-rc is the third release candidate in its series. We're
  coming closer and closer to a stable release series. This release
  fixes an annoyance with address detection code, and somewhat mitigates
  an ongoing denial-of-service attack.

  We anticipate no more code changes between this and the stable
  release, though of course that could change.

  o Major feature (exit):
    - Re-entry into the network is now denied at the Exit level to all
      relays' ORPorts and authorities' ORPorts and DirPorts. This change
      should help mitgate a set of denial-of-service attacks. Closes
      ticket 2667.

  o Minor bugfixes (relay, configuration):
    - Don't attempt to discover our address (IPv4 or IPv6) if no ORPort
      for it can be found in the configuration. Fixes bug 40254; bugfix
      on 0.4.5.1-alpha.