[tor-talk] Idea for a stand-alone browser based on Tor browser source code

Jeremy Rand jeremyrand at airmail.cc
Thu Jul 9 04:05:00 UTC 2020

joel04g_t535e at secmail.pro:
> Tor browser has good defense against many tracking techniques, however,
> internet users may want a way to browse the web without anonymity but with
> some of the great features Tor browser provides. (Security Level,
> Noscript, Isolate trackers, Anti Fingerprinting, etc)
>
> Some reasons users may want a browser like this include:
>
> ~Accessing websites that don't like Tor users
>
> ~Streaming without latency
>
> ~Doing online banking (Tor could create suspicion of a possible hack
> attempt and block or hassle users)
>
> ~An easy and hassle free browser for users who really don't like latency
> or with bad internet
>
> I believe a stand-alone browser with onion routing removed but based on
> the same code Tor browser uses could be useful to many internet users. I'd
> love to hear everyone's thoughts on this!

My understanding is that this already exists; it's called SecBrowser and
it's part of Kicksecure.  Based on briefly glancing at the source code,
I *think* it's basically a clever wrapper script that uses a bunch of
environment variables to customize the official Tor Browser binaries'
behavior.

More info here:
http://www.dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/wiki/SecBrowser

The usual warnings about "this isn't endorsed by The Tor Project" apply.

Cheers,
--
-Jeremy Rand
Lead Application Engineer at Namecoin
Mobile email: jeremyrandmobile at airmail.cc
Mobile OpenPGP: 2158 0643 C13B B40F B0FD 5854 B007 A32D AB44 3D9C
Send non-security-critical things to my Mobile with OpenPGP.
Please don't send me unencrypted messages.
My business email jeremy at veclabs.net is having technical issues at the
moment.