[tor-talk] I don't understand two things about the node 'freja'.

sean_sullivan at danwin1210.me sean_sullivan at danwin1210.me
Thu Jul 2 10:12:19 UTC 2020

On Wed, July 1, 2020 4:34 am, Roger Dingledine wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 10:13:37PM -0000, sean_sullivan at danwin1210.me
> wrote:
> Tor Browser's "about:tor" screen is served locally -- it does not come
> from any remote website.
>
> This is one of the Tor Browser usability improvements from some years
> ago, where "making users wait for their Tor to bootstrap, and then fetch a
>  remote page, before the browser window appears" is no fun so we fixed
> it.

Dear Roger,

I did wonder if the "about" screen was always served but I'll note that
when I tried to load TBB with a non-exit node, I never got as far as the
"about" screen.

The only reason I'm interested in "freja" is because I saw it's IP was the
last login to one of my accounts. I checked the IP with WHOIS and got
concerned. Then I checked "torstatus" and was relived that it was a Tor
node. Then I got confused because it wasn't an exit node.

My point is that the IP of "freja" was the last login. So, unless there's
a scenario I haven't thought of, surely it must at some point on Tuesday
have been an exit node? Is there a way to check this?