[tor-talk] Tor vs Tor Browser

Roger Dingledine arma at torproject.org
Sun Jan 19 03:49:54 UTC 2020

On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 07:01:07AM +0000, Jason Long wrote:
> Hello,In the Tor Browser, we have some options like "Security Level". How about Tor in CLI? How can I define it?

The "security slider" in Tor Browser is about disabling pieces of browser
functionality, to reduce surface area. Another name for it that might
give a better intuition would be "functionality filter". It is entirely
about stuff inside the browser, like whether it renders certain image
formats, whether it runs scripts, etc.

There is no equivalent of that "disabling application level pieces" idea
for the program called Tor: Tor just moves bytes back and forth for you,
and aims to give you good security by default.

(You will find advice on random websites out there, to add fifty new
lines to your torrc or something. Those guides are usually bad ideas.
Tor's defaults aim to keep most people safe, and since anonymity loves
company, you are probably better off blending in with the crowds.)

--Roger